This post summarizes the best VPNs for Kodi. Whether you use Kodi on FireStick, Android, Windows, Mac, iOS, or Linux, these VPNs will provide anonymous and secure streaming. Read on to learn which VPN suits you best, why you need a VPN, and features that make a great VPN.
Kodi is a widely used open-source media player that helps you transform your device into a home entertainment hub. You can stream unlimited content over the internet, including movies, TV shows, live TV, news, sports, and music, via Kodi addons.
These addons can be official from the authorized Kodi repository or third-party ones that provide links to a whole lot of content that are otherwise unavailable through official services.
It is the third-party or unofficial addons that contribute the most to the popularity of Kodi. However, these addons provide video streams from unverified sources. These sources may not have the license to distribute the content. As a result, you may end up watching pirated videos.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Kodi?
There is a slight drawback with Kodi. It’s an open-source platform, and your data is not necessarily safe if you are using third-party addons. With a little effort, anyone can see what you stream online, including hackers, your internet service provider (ISP), and the government.
FireStickHow does not promote piracy. If anything, we are against copyright violations. We encourage our readers to watch only the videos released in the public domain. Such videos are copyright-free.
At the same time, we promote your right to privacy. A VPN is the best way to remain private and hide your online identity while streaming. That’s why I have compiled this list of the best VPNs for Kodi.
Here are the top reasons why you need a Kodi VPN:
Hide Your Streaming Activity on Kodi
The fact that Kodi is an open-source media center raises a red flag for security, anonymity, and privacy.
Using a VPN is essential to be safe online and prevent your data from falling into the wrong hands.
A VPN guarantees anonymous streaming and even prevents you from getting into trouble for streaming unlicensed content.
Bypass Throttling by ISP
When you use Kodi without a VPN, your ISP can track your activities online and see what you stream on the various addons.
They may even intentionally throttle your internet speeds to slow your activity, for example, when streaming a live game.
A VPN helps you bypass throttling by hiding your internet activity altogether.
The ISP won’t find a reason to throttle your bandwidth if they can’t track your activity.
Unblock Geo-Restricted Content
Some Kodi addons can be geo-blocked only to allow content streaming for users in a specific geographical area.
You can unblock these restrictions using a VPN for Kodi and watch your favorite content from anywhere in the world.
How We Found the Best VPNs for Kodi?
With so many VPN services in the market, choosing the one that suits you best is daunting. It’s even harder to narrow down hundreds of VPNs for Kodi into the five best if you don’t know what to look for. We tested several VPNs based on multiple factors before finalizing this list.
Below are some factors we considered to find the best VPNs for Kodi:
Superior Encryption (Security)
Securing your internet connection to hide your online identity is the single most important objective of any VPN.
Therefore, it is crucial that the VPN employs the best encryption technology.
AES-256 is the most advanced encryption standard presently. So, the VPN you are buying must have it. AES-256 stands for Advanced Encryption Standard with 256-bit keys.
All VPNs affect your internet speed because they redirect your internet connection to a secure server.
However, the question is – to what extent?
The impact of the VPN connection on the speed must be minimal.
ExpressVPN clearly stands out on this front. It is the fastest VPN available in the market today.
No Log Policy (Privacy)
With increasing cases of data theft, hacking, and phishing by malicious players on the internet, it’s critical to choose a VPN that guarantees complete anonymity and privacy.
This is where the no-log policy comes in – a law prohibiting VPN services from logging your information.
We chose the best VPNs for Kodi based on their no-log policy.
Broad Device Compatibility
Kodi is compatible with multiple devices, including Amazon FireStick, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux.
It is only logical to look for an equally compatible VPN.
The VPNs in this review are compatible with most of the devices mentioned earlier, with dedicated applications and router support.
Torrent is a popular streaming source for many Kodi addons. The addons that support torrent-based content are usually more reliable.
Therefore, if you want a VPN that lets you access torrent sites, you must choose one that allows P2P traffic.
Kill Switch and Protection Against IP Leaks
A reliable VPN for Kodi should have a kill switch to protect you against DNS and IP address leaks in case the VPN connection drops.
The kill switch blocks all internet access whenever it detects a drop in VPN connection to ensure there is no data traffic that third parties could target.
Best VPNs for Kodi
Considering the points above, here is our list of the best VPNs for Kodi.
1) ExpressVPN: Best All-around VPN (Fastest and Safest)
ExpressVPN is hands down the best risk-free VPN for Kodi to take your streaming anonymity and security to the next level. I use ExpressVPN with Kodi on all my devices.
This service has over 3000 servers spread across 94 countries worldwide, lightning speeds, and military-grade AES-256-bit encryption.
ExpressVPN is also the best VPN for geo-unblocking Kodi addons, giving you hassle-free access to movies, TV shows, sports, and more content that’s restricted by providers. For instance, you can access NFL games outside the United States by using ExpressVPN to bypass restrictions placed by sports addons.
ExpressVPN is currently running a discount. You can save 49% on the yearly plan with 3 extra months (effectively a 15-month plan). You also get a risk-free, 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Fastest and safest.
- Broad device compatibility, including FireStick, Android, Linux, Windows, Mac, and iOS.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Solid no-log policy.
- User-friendly app that’s easy to set up.
- AES-256 bit encryption technology.
- Kill Switch and IP Leak protection.
- Relatively expensive compared to competitors (but every bit worth it). There are no compromises when it comes to your privacy and security.
2) IPVanish: Best ExpressVPN Alternative
Do you seek a budget-friendly ExpressVPN alternative? IPVanish is a fast and reliable VPN for Kodi, and it doesn’t dent your pockets too much.
While IPVanish is not as fast as ExpressVPN, it comes a close second.
It is based in the United States and offers best-in-class encryption technology that guarantees security and privacy.
With over 2000 servers in 75 countries, you are assured of a global reach. Additionally, IPVanish offers multiple device-specific apps. You can be sure if your device is compatible with Kodi, IPVanish has an equally compatible app for the device.
Get the 2-year IPVanish Subscription to save 72%. You also get a 30-day money-refund guarantee on all plans (except the monthly plan).
- Unlimited connections and a wide range of device compatibility, including Fire TV, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Decent and reliable speed.
- Protects against DNS and IP leaks.
- Fast streaming of IPTV and P2P-based streams.
- No log policy, despite being right under the Fourteen Eyes surveillance alliance.
- Lightweight and easy-to-use app.
- AES 256-bit encryption technology.
- Kill Switch to prevent data leakage.
- Not good for bypassing geo-restricted Kodi addons.
3) Private Internet Access (PIA): Best Kodi VPN for Global Reach
Private Internet Access takes the crown for the Kodi VPN with the most servers. It has nearly 35,500 servers across 84 countries.
It offers decently fast speeds, reliable & secure connections, and dedicated apps for various Kodi-compatible devices.
With critical features like the kill switch, DNS leak protection, split tunneling, and ad-blocking, your PIA VPN will transform your streaming experience on Kodi. It is compatible with multiple devices, including OpenELEC Android devices like Android TV boxes.
You can save 82% on the 2-year plan (with 3 extra months). PIA subscription also comes with a 30-day full refund guarantee.
Private Internet Access Pros
- The best global network of servers.
- Decent upload and download speeds.
- Military-grade encryption technology.
- DNS Leak protection.
- Kill Switch.
- No log policy.
- Applications for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linus, and FireStick.
- Kill Switch to protect against IP and data leakage.
Private Internet Access Cons
- Does not unblock all geo-restricted Kodi addons.
- Offers free trials only on Android and iOS devices.
4) CyberGhost: Extended Money-Back Guarantee (45 Days)
CyberGhost offers the most prolonged money-back guarantee of 45 days compared to others, which are limited to 30 days. But that’s not the only reason CyberGhost made it to our list.
CyberGhost is quite fast on most servers (though not as fast as ExpressVPN). It categorizes its servers by streaming services, making the VPN suitable for Kodi.
CyberGhost is also easy to install and set up on all devices, including FireStick, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more.
It has military-grade encryption technology, multiple VPN protocols, and a myriad of global servers to provide reliable, secure, and fast VPN connections to suit your needs.
For instance, if you want to watch a geo-restricted Australian reality TV show on Kodi, CyberGhost provides several servers optimized for Netflix AU, 9Now AU, and 10Play AU.
Enjoy a massive discount of 84% on its 2-year (+3 months) plan and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost VPN Pros
- Longest money-refund guarantee of 45 days.
- Fast speeds.
- Strong encryption technology.
- Global reach.
- Broad device compatibility.
- Easy-to-use app.
- Bypasses ISP throttling.
- Great for bypassing streaming geo-restrictions.
- A kill switch, DNS, and IP address leak protection.
CyberGhost VPN Cons
- P2P traffic is blocked on some of its servers.
5) Surfshark: Best Kodi VPN for Unlimited Connections & Affordability
Last but not least, Surfshark is another entry to our list of the five best VPNs for Kodi. Firstly, Surfshark VPN offers unlimited simultaneous connections. This means you can stream anonymously on Kodi with multiple devices simultaneously.
For instance, you can watch a sporting event on your FireStick while other household members securely use Kodi on Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS devices simultaneously.
Other features that make Surfshark a perfect choice for Kodi include an advanced AES 256-bit encryption technology, multiple VPN protocols, kill Switch, DNS, and IP leak protection, and a vast collection of international servers. Surfshark also has a firm no-log policy to guarantee data security and anonymity when streaming on Kodi.
Buy a 2-year Surfshark plan to save 82%.
Surfshark VPN Pros
- Unlimited connections.
- Decent speeds.
- Strong encryption technology.
- Unblocks geo-restricted content.
- Solid no-log policy.
- Streaming-optimized servers.
Surfshark VPN Cons
- Customer service can be scanty, especially with their weak social media presence.
How to Install the Best VPN for Kodi
Let’s discuss installing and setting up the best VPN for Kodi on various Kodi-compatible devices.
ExpressVPN is the VPN of choice for us. I use ExpressVPN every time I want to stream on Kodi. Therefore, I will use ExpressVPN for demonstration.
However, if you have bought any other VPN, the process is almost the same.
Install and Set up Kodi VPN on FireStick
The Amazon FireStick is one of the most used Kodi-compatible devices. Follow the steps below to install and setup Kodi VPN on FireStick:
1. Subscribe to your preferred VPN service on its official website, e.g., ExpressVPN.
2. On your FireStick home screen, click Find.
3. Click Search.
4. Type the name of the VPN on the search bar, then select it in the suggested results. I am typing ExpressVPN.
5. Click the VPN app tile under Apps & Games.
6. Select Get or Download to install the VPN app on your FireStick.
7. Click Open to launch the VPN app once the download is complete.
8. Click Sign in.
9. Enter your login credentials and click Sign In.
10. Click OK to set up your VPN.
11. Click OK to accept the connection request.
12. Connect to a VPN server.
13. Launch Kodi and stream anonymously.
Install and Setup Kodi VPN on Windows/Mac
Follow the steps below to install and setup Kodi VPN on Windows:
1. Go to your preferred VPN’s website and subscribe to any of its plans, e.g., ExpressVPN.
2. Download the Windows or Mac version from the official website of the VPN. For example, you can download ExpressVPN from the following:
If you need help with installation and setup, here are the video links for ExpressVPN:
3. Once you have installed and set up the VPN, click Connect to connect to a server.
4. VPN is now connected.
5. Open Kodi and stream securely and anonymously.
Install and Set Up Kodi VPN on Smart TV
Kodi transforms your Smart TV into an entertainment hub where you can stream all manner of content, from movies, TV shows, live sports, music, kids’ content, and live TV programming. To install Kodi VPN on Smart TV, follow the steps below:
1. Subscribe to your preferred VPN service on its official website, e.g., ExpressVPN.
2. Go to your Smart TV’s App Store, type the VPN app name, and select it on the suggested results.
3. Click Install.
4. Launch the VPN, enter your login details, and click Sign In.
5. Connect to a server.
7. With the VPN app still running, open Kodi and stream anonymously.
Install and Set Up Kodi VPN on Smartphones (iOS & Android)
Follow the steps below to install and set up Kodi VPN on iOS or Android:
1. Go to the VPN’s official website and purchase a subscription, e.g., ExpressVPN.
2. Go to the App Store and search for the VPN’s official application (Apple Store for iOS and Play Store for Android).
3. Tap Get or Install, depending upon the device.
4. Launch the VPN and app sign in.
5. Click on the power icon to connect to the fastest server.
6. You are now connected to a VPN server.
7. Once you’ve created a secure VPN connection, launch Kodi and stream anonymously.
Install and Set Up Kodi VPN on OpenELEC and LibreELEC
Follow the steps below to install and set up Kodi VPN on OpenELEC:
- Install the OpenVPN addon on your PC or smartphone.
- Save the file on a USB drive.
- Insert the USB drive into your OpenELEC/LibreELEC device and transfer the file into the device.
- Open Kodi.
- Click Addons.
- Click the box icon.
- Choose Install from zip file.
- Select the transferred zip file and wait for it to install on your device.
- Click the VPN Manager on the OpenVPN addon.
- Select Wizard.
- Select your VPN provider from the list of VPNs.
- Log in with your sign-in credentials.
- Select a location and connect to a server.
You can now stream anonymously on Kodi on your OpenELEC or LibreELEC device.
Don’t Use APK Files From Third Parties
You have two options to install a Kodi VPN app on your device; download the official VPN app from official app stores, sideload the APK file onto your device, and install the app. However, some VPNs lack official apps, or for some reason, you cannot install the official app onto your device.
When this happens, going the APK file route is the only option. Another dilemma arises when you can’t find a dedicated APK file from the official website. At this point, you might be tempted to use third-party APK files because they are available on the web. Please don’t use third-party APK files because most contain malware that can harm your device.
All the VPNs mentioned on this list are available via official app stores on most platforms or have the installation files on their official website.
What Are the Best Kodi Addons for Sports Streaming?
One of the most popular ways to use Kodi is streaming live sports events through sports addons. You can stream different sports content, from soccer, motor racing, football, boxing, basketball, swimming championships, tennis, and baseball. Below are the best Kodi addons for sports streaming:
- Sport HD.
- The Crew.
- LooNatics Empire.
- Apex Sports.
- Fights On Demand.
- The Loop.
- Rising Tides.
- Mad Titan Sports.
- Sportowa TV.
- Fight Club.
- Torque Lite.
- Centry Sports.
Kodi is an entertainment hub with addons for other genres, including movies, TV shows, kids’ content, live TV, and music. Check out our guide for the best Kodi addons.
Popular VPNs To Avoid Using With Kodi
You’ll come across various options on the web when searching for the best Kodi VPN. Some of them have Kodi addons but are bad news for multiple reasons. These reasons include logging user data, inadequate security, and IP leak protection.
Below are popular VPNs to avoid using with Kodi:
- VPN Unlimited
- VPN Proxy Master
- Hotspot Shield
- Hola VPN
Does ExpressVPN Have a Kodi Add-on?
No, ExpressVPN does not have a Kodi add-on. However, the VPN has device-specific apps you can install on your Kodi device. These devices include Express VPN app for Windows, iOS, FireStick, Mac, Android, Chromebook, Routers, and Linux. When you install the ExpressVPN app on your device, set it up, and connect to a server, it protects all the applications on your device, including Kodi.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Kodi?
Yes, you can stream Kodi on various devices using a free VPN. However, using a free VPN for Kodi is not recommended for the following reasons:
- Free VPNs don’t have decent speeds and may cause buffering when streaming on Kodi.
- Most free VPNs profit by selling user data, so your privacy and data security aren’t guaranteed.
- Free VPNs can’t bypass geo-blocked Kodi addons.
- Free VPNs might infect your device with malware.
- The 10GB data cap is too restrictive to offer optimized, secure Kodi streaming.
Is Free VPN for Kodi Helpful?
Free VPNs can do more harm than good. Therefore, it is best to stay away from them.
It would be best to have a trustworthy VPN for Kodi to stream anonymously, unblock geo-restricted addons, bypass ISP throttling, and protect your privacy online. Choosing a suitable Kodi VPN is challenging, with hundreds of options in the market. We hope our guide of the top five best VPNs for Kodi has helped you make a decision.