I will show you how to update Kodi on FireStick in this article. The process works on all Fire TV devices. This includes FireStick 3rd Gen, FireStick Lite, FireStick 4K, Fire TV Cube, New FireStick 4K, New FireStick 4K Max, and more. Also, if your update fails for some reason, I have provided an alternative method to update Kodi.
Why Update Kodi?
New Kodi versions bring visual improvements, bug fixes, and new features. So, it’s essential to update Kodi for an optimal experience. However, you must sideload its update because Kodi isn’t officially available on Amazon App Store. In this guide, I’ll use Downloader on an Amazon Fire TV device to update Kodi to its latest version.
Attention FireStick Users: Read before you continue
Your government and ISP are probably monitoring your streaming activities using your IP address 18.104.22.168 (exposed to all). You may get into serious legal trouble for streaming copyrighted videos on FireStick.
I strongly recommend getting a trusted VPN for FireStick to hide your IP address and protect your online identity.
Don't miss out on the peace of mind and online security ExpressVPN provides.
Kodi 20.2 Nexus Features
- Faster save states
- Better memory utilization
- New keyboard shortcuts
- Improved context and subtitles menu
How to Update Kodi on FireStick
I have broken down the entire how-to update Kodi on the FireStick process into two separate phases. We will go through them one by one. Let us begin with the first part.
Part 1: Prepare Your FireStick
You first need an app called Downloader from the Amazon App Store. After that, you’ll enable Install Unknown Apps for Downloader so it can install Kodi’s newest APK file. Feel free to refer to our guide on how to set up and install Downloader on FireStick. You may use the following quick steps to finish the preparation:
1. Select Magnifying Glass on Kodi’s home and choose the Search box. Search for Downloader and select the suggestion from the list. Then, open the Downloader’s menu and click Get/Download.
2. Go to Settings of your Fire TV Stick. Then, select My Fire TV. Select and click Developer Options. After that, open Install unknown apps. Finally, turn ON Downloader.
Note: Some devices display Apps from Unknown Sources instead of Install Unknown Apps. Turn on Apps from Unknown Sources.
Your FireStick is now ready for the latest version of Kodi.
Part 2: Download the Updated Kodi APK File
Now that the Fire TV settings have been tweaked, you need to download the latest version of the Kodi APK file. Let me quickly show you the steps to do so.
1. Open Downloader.
2. Go to the URL box of the Downloader app.
3. Enter the URL: firestickhow.com/kodi, and then press Go.
Disclaimer: The URL above downloads the Kodi APK from an external source. FireStickHow.com does not own any APKs and does not host any download URLs.
4. Click the blue Kodi-20-Nexus button to start the download if it doesn’t start automatically.
5. You will see the download starts. Wait for the download to finish.
6. Once the APK file download ends, you will be prompted to install it. Select Install.
7. Let Kodi update your FireStick.
8. Wait for the installation to be over. Once you see the app installed notification, select Done.
9. Click Delete to remove Kodi’s updated APK file from your FireStick.
10. Click Delete once again to confirm your choice.
Congratulations! You have completed the process to update Kodi on FireStick.
Wait! It looks like you are all set to start watching your favorite content on FireStick. But have you protected your online identity yet? You are under constant surveillance by the Government and ISP. Free streaming of copyrighted videos may get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, you can easily avoid online monitoring and safeguard your privacy with a trusted VPN on FireStick. A VPN will hide your IP address and online identity by encrypting your internet connection.
Please note that I am not encouraging you to violate any copyright laws. You should always watch the content available in the public domain. I am simply recommending the use of a VPN to maintain your privacy. You have every right to your privacy, which is constantly being breached these days.
I personally use ExpressVPN and have found it to be the fastest and most secure FireStick VPN. It is also the most streaming-friendly VPN I have ever used. Therefore, I highly recommend getting ExpressVPN for FireStick.
Here is how you can quickly get the ExpressVPN app on FireStick:
Step 1: Click HERE to subscribe to ExpressVPN and enjoy a 49% discount with 3 months of extended service. You are also eligible for a 30-day, full money-return guarantee.
Step 2: Download and install ExpressVPN on FireStick
- Choose the Find > Search option on the FireStick home screen on the menu bar.
- Search for ExpressVPN.
- Click the ExpressVPN icon on the following window.
- Click Download or Get on the next window
Step 3: Open ExpressVPN once you have downloaded it. Sign in with your account.
Step 4: Choose a server and click the Connect/Power button
Put your mind at ease now! You have successfully secured your streaming activities with ExpressVPN.
Did Your Kodi Update Fail?
In some instances, your update of Kodi might not go as planned due to technical issues. In that case, you may uninstall Kodi and fresh install the latest version.
However, you would like to take this step only when the regular method (as outlined above) to update Kodi does not work because uninstalling will remove all your existing data, including addons, builds, and any custom settings.
If the regular method does not work at all, follow the steps below to uninstall Kodi:
1. Go to the Settings menu from Kodi’s home and select Applications.
2. Select Manage Installed Applications.
3. On the next window, scroll and find Kodi. Then select it.
4. Select Force Stop. This is to ensure that no Kodi processes are running in the background.
5. Now select Uninstall.
6. Click Confirm to complete the removal.
After reinstalling Kodi, you may install the latest version using the Downloader app and the download URL firestickhow.com/kodi. For the complete set of instructions, follow our guide on how to install Kodi on FireStick.
Guide for Safe Usage of Kodi
While using Kodi, you can stream virtually anything and everything on your Amazon Fire TV, from free movies to TV shows and sports. However, everything you stream on your FireStick is visible to your ISP and, in turn, the government.
But what if you mistakenly stream content you should not have been streaming? In these instances, it is imperative to have a good VPN service to safeguard your Fire TV Stick.
I recommend getting yourself ExpressVPN, and I always connect to it before I start using Kodi on FireStick. It just gives me peace of mind knowing that my data is secure and nobody is monitoring me.
Best Add-Ons for Kodi 20.2
Once you are done installing or updating Kodi, you will require add-ons and a Kodi build to get the most out of your Kodi. Here is the list of add-ons that work best with the newest Kodi version.
Best Integrable Builds for Kodi 20.2
Now let us look at the list of best integrable builds for Kodi 20 Nexus after you are done updating Kodi/ have downloaded Kodi. These will help you spice up your Kodi home screen.
How to Downgrade Kodi to 19.5 Matrix?
I recommend keeping Kodi up to date with the latest version. However, sometimes the most recently released version may not be as stable as the developers would have thought. In that case, you may want to revert to the previous version until the issues are fixed.
Furthermore, some of your favorite addons or builds may not be compatible with the new version. If you wish to continue using such addons or builds, the only option is to downgrade to the older version.
Downgrading is a little tricky, though. While you can upgrade to a newer version without uninstalling Kodi, the same does not apply if you want to go the other way. Therefore, uninstalling the new version and installing the new version is the only way forward.
Remember that uninstalling will remove existing addons, builds, or any other changes you made to Kodi.
I have provided the steps with images to uninstall Kodi in one of the previous sections. You may go to FireStick Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > Kodi > Uninstall.
Once the new version is uninstalled, please follow the steps below to install the old version:
1. Install and configure the Downloader app to sideload the Kodi 19.5 version. Open the Downloader app and click the address bar or URL input box on the home screen.
2. Type the URL firestickhow.com/kodi19 and click Go.
3. Wait for the app to download.
4. Click Install.
5. When the app is installed, click DONE to remove the APK file and save space. You may also click OPEN to launch Kodi 19.5.
6. If you clicked DONE in the previous steps, click Delete.
7. Click Delete again.
You have successfully downgraded to Kodi 19.5 Matrix on FireStick.
The latest version of Kodi is Kodi 20.2 Nexus.
No, you will not lose data if you update Kodi. Once you launch Kodi, you will see the data that you had.
Yes, this is reportedly the most stable version of Kodi available to date.
You can watch movies, TV shows, Live TV, sports events, and other content on Kodi.
This guide highlighted how to update Kodi on FireStick. Kodi is one of the most versatile media players, with versions available on FireStick. Did you face any issues while updating the software? Please let me know in the comments.